.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 18

It’s our Privilege not our Right

Congratulations everyone, political rights have finally returned to women on 16/5/2005. This is indeed a historical day and this turn in the events had definitely made women’s non-participation in Municipality a big joke and I am expecting that this matter would also be altered soon; may be sooner than anyone expects.

But nevertheless; I am still devastated by the conditions attached to the first item of the voting law. And I don’t only see it as a discrimination against women; I vision it also as government’s declared bias toward Islamic parties; one look at the women nominees as well as public responses to the subject matter would give you a good indication of what composition is expected in the parliament of the year 2007.

Don’t mind the gibberish that we have been exposed to by anti-women Islamists’ move, when it comes to real action, they would no doubt fight with claws and teeth to support the more conservative ones. And the result; more Islamists in the parliament, and more Islamic imposition on the society because conservative women are even more hard headed than conservative men and firmer in applying their rules. And unlike men, women would not easily make deals; they are more principle oriented even if their principles did not make any sense and did not comply with the civilized world of this generation.

As many might know; these conditions will not be left void, an amendment “elmothakara eltafseeriyah” would have to be issued soon to explain and detail these conditions and don’t forget that the same parliament members who degraded women are still in action. This is their game now, and more deals and compensations are due in the very near future.

And although I have doubted government’s intention in the past regarding their seriousness toward supporting women; what happened in the parliament on that historical day did not completely lift my doubt. Take a closer look to what have happened; the same Islamists whom were against, surprisingly, changed their positing, why? What would make someone like Barad, for instance, change his mind overnight?
I can only see one explanation for that; It is all calculated; women participation WITH CONDITIONS means more conservative parties in the coming parliament, and I’m sure that major actions have already started to grant that. Don’t be fooled by the fight that demonstratively started between the Islamists, that was nothing but a stage play that they and the government mastered well. Do you think that the government would give up on Islamists that easy? It doesn’t make any sense; it’s their baby.

Now I don’t mean to be the party-pooper with this post. And if I tell you that I’m not happy with the accomplishment; I would be bluffing. As a matter of fact I’m exhilarated. But I don’t want this joy to blind me from those facts. And I would be a big fool if I did not read through the actions that preceded that session. Therefore; I see it my duty to remind everyone to be more sensible and focused toward the battle that is expected in the coming few days, we should not take things lightly. Prompt action is needed. And REDUCING VOTING AREAS “eldawair alintikhabiya” should be on the top of our priority list to reduce the chance of ethnic and tribal domination. Otherwise things would just drift from bad to worse.

This is our fight now.

Resuming political life is a privilege and a huge responsibility, it is not a right as per say.

Posted by AyyA:: at :: 9:18 AM::

9 Comments:

Blogger Shurouq said...

Well put, Ayya

(& believe me, no one is blinded by joy here)

3:36 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Shurouq
I’m proud to say that you are one of a few who are politically aware, but how many others are like you. We should make it our task sister to keep a close watch and enlighten others.

Expert
Thanks dear, long time no see :)

DJ
Very complicated indeed, thanks dear for your support. If it wasn’t for America’s pressures we might have never seen the day.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Drunk'n'Gorgeous said...

Congrats Darling Ayya *hugs* When I said "someone who knows what they're talking about", I meant you ;) I'm one of the more clueless ones but hopefully you'll change that and "enlighten" me :P Take care sweets, later!

1:42 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Tantalize
وأكد الطبطبائي ان القواعد الشرعية بالنسبة لالتزام المرأة أثناء التصويت والترشيح هي الالتزام بالحجاب وهو قاعدة أساسية، والمرأة غير المحجبة إذا رشحت نفسها فإن ترشيحها مطعون فيه لأنها خالفت احكام القانون الذي سمح لها بالترشيح.
وحول عدم مشاركة الاسلاميين في التصويت على القانون بالموافقة وحول الاستفادة من اصوات النساء قال الطبطبائي «لنا الغنيمة ولهم الغرم، ونحن ولله الحمد لم نغرم شيئاً لكننا سنستفيد إن شاء الله من الغنيمة».
I got this today from alommah.org, you can find their link on the side bar of my blog.
Go figure !!!

D&G
We are all in the same boat honey, political awareness is a must for both genders dear.
Thank you for your trust honey :*

4:41 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

rawand
Sa7 ibdinich

Shopaholic q8eya
LOL, then prepare yourself for the fight dear

3:44 PM  
Blogger UzF said...

It's being circulated that since the law was passed in this time with the municipal elections drawing closer, there will be [at least] 2 women appointed to occupy offices. So we can observe the performance right away unlike what happened in other gulf countries where no women had won thus far.
The "bugs" in the law can be fixed later hopefully, but all what maters now is that YOUR voice counts ;)

12:03 AM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Ms.B
Well said 7abeebti, with women like you around, I’m sure we are in for a win-win situation. Let’s just keep a close watch and dedicate ourselves to the cause.

Shopaholic Q8eya
I’m proud of you :*

UzF
I hope so dear, the next coming days are really critical; a lot of things may change. Thanks for your support and I hope that all my country men who have lost hope in our democracy in the past and as a result boycotted elections would reconsider their decision.
The fight is not only feminine, as we have witnessed in the past; any legislation passed through the parliament affects us all.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Drunk'n'Gorgeous said...

"We are all in the same boat honey, political awareness is a must for both genders dear."

I'm sorry if I insinuated in any way that either gender should be more politically aware than the other because believe you me, it was not my intent. I understand perfectly that both the men and women of Kuwait are in this together. Don't thank me for trusting you. I should thank YOU for being trustworthy :P

1:28 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

DnG
7abeebti walla, no I did not mean that you implied that, I just wanted to reemphasize my point.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home