.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 23

Central Park, NYC

In Central Park we met
The almond eyes stood on a rock
As on the grass my body laid
And far away my mind strayed

An introduction so dandy
Holding his hands to his face
I offered a piece of candy
He snatched it and fled away

Attempting to ignore his ill manners
I turned my attention to a wayfarer
With a black and white poodle
Waging it's tail, sniffing yonder

Annoyed by my indifference
My friend returned with prudence
Displayed in those rueful eyes
To regain my sympathy

I offered him another piece
This time he took it with a gist
And stood beside me munching
While I watched with interest

Then mischievously he cocked his head
Studying my face curiously
I said” I’m a stranger in this town
Looking for my lost identity”

He said” why cross the seas
To find lost identities?
Why don’t you just dive within
To fetch where it has always been?”

It hit me right there and then
All these years I've been searching
For happiness around the glob
While it nested right within

Overwhelmed with relief
I thanked him for the consultation
And to make the meeting brief
I asked for the Metro location

Suddenly he jumped with a twirl
Seizing the whole box of candy
And spitting out excitedly
“How should I know? I’m just a squirrel”

PS; from the archives (29/8/2002)

Posted by AyyA:: at :: 6:23 PM::

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED feeding the squirrels hehe...cute but angry little creatures!

Lovely poem dear :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Thanks sweetie, it was supposed to be a light note for the weekend, have a great one :)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anytime & u have fun!

8:59 PM  
Blogger 9ahba'a said...

soooooooooooooooooooo cute
beatiful one as always

11:18 PM  
Blogger Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

عشت بنيو يورك سنتين و ما دشيت سنترال بارك

لازم انشنق

12:16 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

9ahba'a
Thanks dear, glad you enjoyed it :)

kila ma6goog
I was planning to go to boulder, Co., then NYC, then end up in Spain for the rest of summer, but the whole plan got messed up :(

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kasik Ya Watan said...

Great as usual Ayya

We learn a lot from creatures that we under estimate … sometimes we need to simplify things in order to better understand them.

You can't imagine how much I am learning from my 6 Years daughter & 3 Years Son.

3:07 AM  
Blogger White Wings said...

although light-hearted, I sense a deeper meaning, maybe it is the "identity" section enforcing, in my head, a more serious gist to the poem..
but then again, I tend to over-read..
beautiful

3:31 AM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Kasak ya watan
Your comment reminded me of my mom’s famous saying” our parents do not discipline us, our kids do” allah yikhali 3yalik wi tifra7 feehom.

White Wings
No sweetie, you are not over-reading, this is the essence of the poem :)

7:27 AM  
Blogger luloo said...

Identity is one the most complicated questions in philosophy.. is it fluid, rigid or just an illusion?? Can we define identity, gender, freedom of choice etc, relativism and agnostism is the closest answer in my opinion.

A beautiful and deep poem as usual

Miss you

6:35 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Luloo
You know when I was in that park I was contemplating moving to somewhere in the States. As I was picturing in my head how would that be possible. I mean I kept asking myself, if I move here, will I be happy? Will I make friends like the ones I left back home? Will I be able to withstand the weather? Then I had this surge of passion to Kuwait. What is it with this country that I feel so much for, although I’m not happy when I’m in it? I do not lead a normal, simple easy life; my life is a society of rumors. Yet, there is this magnet that pulls me to this land that I can’t explain. This is the core of my lost identity, I did not belong to the West and I couldn’t relate to my own people. At the end I realized that I belong to where my friends and loved ones are, I might get to make new friends elsewhere, but it won’t be the same. There; if you ask your heart, it will guide you.
Relativism yes I agree

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home