.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, December 27

Count your Blessings

2005 is approaching its final tick-tock. People are getting their list of resolutions and wishes. And whoever is doing that would be expected, at least for himself, to keep up his promises and to hope that some of his wishes come true. But life had taught me-the hard way, not to have resolutions made because simply I’m not the type that can keep any. As for wishes; I don’t make them either, because many a times I was disappointed when I expected things to happen and they didn’t. Not this time, I do not expect anything from anyone and therefore I maintain my peace of mind. Instead; I count my blessings of the past and just wish for a better year ahead. Whatever might come, it will always be for the better.
So instead of dwelling on the doors of tomorrow, let me count my 2005 blessings:

It’s been exactly a year since I have retired. A lot of people have warned me against it saying that an active person like me can’t just sit home and do nothing. Well, let’s see what I have done with my free time during this year:

1- Blogging: although some might think that blogging had a negative social effect on me, but I have realized that it was not a negative point after all. My social life became more organized to include only the people that I feel comfortable with. I have learned to say “No” to “the time wasters”, which gave me more time to spend with my close friends. I also did more cyber socializing; I got to know other wonderful people through the net and realized how “I’m not alone” in many things that bothered me before in our hypocritical society. I think I got to realize the true Kuwaiti’s souls that otherwise were masked behind social obligations. And that by itself was a blessing.

2- Courses online: I successfully finished a course online and I’m looking forward to do more.

3- Two of my poems have been published in books sold on the internet.

3- Getting into photography: a hobby that I discovered only through the past year and I’m looking forward to do some courses on that subject online.

4- Traveling: I traveled four times this year at times which had not been possible if it was not for my free time. And I will crown that with my trip to Bahrain for New Years Eve to meet a friend whom I have not seen in four years. I’m looking forward to spend my Birthday (31 Dec.) with warm hearts as I did last year in Spain. Wish me good luck in finding my other half ;)

5- I got closer to my family: especially to my parents which was not the case in the past few years.

6- I got my Engineering Consultancy Certificate in construction from the Society of Engineers. The certificate which gives me a lot of options if I decided to go into construction business again.

7- Yoga; although my yoga classes at the end of this year had reduced drastically due to family obligations. I still have my customers who are willing to resume classes whenever the time is right for me. And I also have new customers whom I’m planning to fit in my schedule.

Well, that was a lot to do, and so far I’m not bored of staying home. And although I do not have the financial privileges I had before, but people do adjust and I am contented with what I got. And would not replace it for all the money in the world.

Other blessings:

1- Kuwaiti women’s political rights were finally approved after more than forty years of struggle. And although I do not consider that as a right as much I consider it an obligation and a responsibility, but nevertheless, the first obstacle is cleared and I thank the mighty God for that.

2- After years of struggle with my ex on the proper way of bring up our children, I finally see that my efforts were not in vain. My kids seem to be heading in the right direction with open mindedness. They are making their own decisions, and I’m proud of them. The real joy of a parent trying to bring up a healthy generation in a confused society.

3- My mom's health is stable, although she still suffers from cancer, but nothing that the pills can’t take care of. God has been mercifully kind to us.

4- My half sister’s health improved and is improving unexpectedly. We thought we lost her for cancer few years back. She had to go through tedious operations and chemotherapy. Now she’s back kicking and resumed her work at the office, may God always bless her with good health, she deserves the best.

5- For the first times in years I do not feel depressed with the pouring rain even after losing my Internet connection. I guess this is a good omen.

Well, I’m sure that there are a lot of other things that escapes my memory in present, but not to make this list very long, I have to end it right here.

Please share with me your 2005 blessings
May you have a wonderful year ahead, and happy New Year

Ah; and happy birthday to me :D

A letter to God:

My sole mate in flat nights
The balmy arm on which I retire
To supernal delights


As this soul you lent me,
Bound and beholding forever
To your privileged proximity,

Has ascended to your way

Has seen your light at the end
Of a dark tunnel, and has cried:
Unto me thy light send

Unto the dear, the beloved
Unto human race
Spread, as an ocean, spread

And shine on all a brighter day

Posted by AyyA:: at :: 11:32 AM::

22 Comments:

Blogger ولاّدة سابقاً ... رانيا السعد ...رانية المنيفي حسب الأوراق الرسمية said...

استمتعت وانا أجوب معك في محاسن العام الماضي ...سعدت بصدق لكِ ...وسعدت أكثر لأنك قررت مشاركتنا

فالإيجابية السحرية التي تشع من كلماتك جعلتني أنظر للعام الماضي بشكل مختلف

كما أن تعاطيكِ مع التقاعد شجعني على التفكير والتخطيط بهذا الاتجاه...المشكلة أن القانون الحالي ظلمني حيث يجب أن أعمل إلى عمر 46!!! بغض النظر عن عدد سنوات العمل مما يعني انني سأعمل 25 سنة

ولكن لدي أمل أن يعود القانون القديم الذي يحددها 15 سنة عمل
وعندها سأنهج نهجك
كتابة - عائلة-يوغا - سفر

وكل عام وأنتِ والعالم من حولك كما تتمنين أيتها الصديقة المميزة

4:15 PM  
Blogger iDip said...

I Bless you ;)

Every year has its blessing, and my way of counting or thinking about blessings is not annual, because -to me- years are just "time units" just like second, days, week, months, seasons ... etc, and we -in a way or another- invented them.

So whenever there's a blessed period in your life ... cherish it, and don't put in in the same time unit with bad events.

Sorry if this sounds wierd.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Elegance said...

If everyone was as positive of a person as you are, this world would by a better place.
I loved idip theory, I never thought of it this way, very interesting indeed.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Eridanus said...

the first blessing: I was alive!
the second one: my life unfolded and, for some brief moments, I (think I) was able to stand up to my standards of humanity; when I failed, I had God's mercy on me to stop me from falling too deep...

(in fact, it is a mistery to me that, given the warmth of such a blessing, I still endure to be more than some ash of a dream, caught in the fire of this world)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I love this idea of yours, counting blessings rather than making resolutions. I don't think I ever made a resolution, and I too have been disappointed far too many times because of things I expected or was expecting and stuff. Now I take each day as it comes and don't plan too ahead of myself. It's much better that way. Farthest I can plan ahead is like a month probably, even that is too much.

6:54 PM  
Blogger don_veto said...

a lot of good things happened to me in 2005 but the most significant thing is my house nearly burned down because a bathroom fan shorted out, but I was out of the house and the fan just melted without causing anything else to burn, just some smoke damage. So I am thankful to be still alive and in one piece.

10:33 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Princess
To be honest with you, I never thought of retirement. I was holding a high position with a good pay including some other luxuries. But unfortunately all my tasks were taken from me ( jamidoni). Ya3ni I ended up doing nothing in the last few months I was working with the ministry, and the officials asked me to wait for changes. That was the time when I thought that it was not worth it. But if you have a good job that you are satisfied with and you think you are productive, then I don’t see why you should retire early.
I advise you my dear friend to enjoy what you are doing, wil taga3od la7ga 3alaih. And I hope that soon you will get what your hearts desires, you deserve the best :*

iDip
since you blessed me I know I’ll be in good hands :p
And I know what you mean dear, NY may not be a special day for everybody, but for me it is. It’s almost my birthday and it’s the day of my retirement which I never regretted. And we usually forget to count our blessings throughout the year. But for me; I always remember to do that around this time.
But you are absolutely right, but not weird :)
May all your days be happy.

Elegance
May be I can spread some vibes toward others :p
No but honestly; the more you are positive about your life, you can actually create a better life. I know you have tried to do that and it worked ;)

Shopa
Thanks sweetie
And I’m so happy that you finally found true love. Some people look all their lives for that and never find it. this is a huge blessing.
Yallah mita nigool kololoosh to our beautiful cyber bride. :*

Eridanus
Being alive is a bless of every new day. And being able to stand to your standards is a big accomplishment. I guess I have done that as well. And so long you have this attitude I’m sure you will always succeed. My best wishes to you dear.
And oh, I do believe in miracles, but I think that we are the ones that make them happen.

Jackos
My sweet angel, I know that you have accomplished a lot during the past year. For one thing; you are about to graduate. You know what that means? A different life all together, even you thoughts will change about a lot of things believe me.
Another thing is what you did for us bloggers, big accomplishments for such a young age. God bless you.

don_veto
Wow, that was really something,khatak el-su, and you should be thankful to God.
May you always be safe and happy.

12:17 PM  
Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY BIRTHDAY...loved your post and inshallah your Mom and half sister will always be in the best of health...My blessings for this year are..:

(1) I was lucky not to be in Asia when the Tsunami happened..
(2) I wasn't in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit
(3) Not in Pakistan when the earthquake happened
(4) Not attending a wedding in Jordan when they bombed the hotel

and ofcourse there must be much more....and you're right..we truely are blessed...al-hamdulla...May you meet a wonderful man in 2006 and he'll appreciate you for all the wonderful things you are...

3:33 PM  
Blogger shosho said...

Happy b-day ayya.

Kil sina wintay taiyba o kil 7abaaybich eb khair :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

always be safe and happy.
12:17 PM
MissCos
That was good, really good
May all the good wishes you cast my way be twofold in every day of your life for you are an angel :*

shoshoa
a7la sina, wi a7la ayam ya a7la faerie
thanks sweetheart :*

9:37 AM  
Blogger moryarti said...

a very enlightening post - i enjoyed every bit of it.

I appreciate your openness and how honest you are with yourself; that a true blissing that many are fortunate (or bold) enough to have..

I wish you the best for 2006..

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sabri Hakim said...

your words are amazing, i very rarely enjoy the words of others, i write my self, congrats on all that you have achived this year

4:16 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

Have a wonderful birthday and a lovely year ahead.

I am glad you feel that you have made the right decision to retire and mashallah you have accomplished so much.

Bless you :)

2:16 AM  
Blogger Temetwir said...

habbi barthdee

7:27 PM  
Blogger q80_demon said...

Happy birthday AyyA, and keep up the attitude for success.
Success happens to those who wrok for it.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Shurouq said...

Happy birthday and a happy new year, Ayya

May 2006 bring you everything you wish for and more :**

5:49 PM  
Blogger ولاّدة سابقاً ... رانيا السعد ...رانية المنيفي حسب الأوراق الرسمية said...

شكراً على النصيحة
كل ما هناك أنني أحب الحرية والعمل يحد من حريتي إلى حد كبير بالرغم من حبي لعملي إلا أنه يأخذ حيز كبير من يومي ويتركني في حالة من الإرهاق
كثيراً ما يخطر لي أنني لم أخلق لأعمل...وأتخيل أن روحي انتقلت لي إما من أميرة من العصور السحيقة أو صعلوكة متمردة

الانتظام...الانصياع للأوامر...المجاملات...الضغوط سلبيات في العمل أود أن تنتهي بالتقاعد

مع تمنياتي لكِ بسنة رائعة

7:43 PM  
Blogger Eva said...

Ayya
A7ss Bra7a Lama Agra elle taktbena , Sawa2 a7adeth shakh9eya Or Great Simple Poems

Happy birthday , Oo Happy New Year , Oo Enshallah Doom Hal Spirit Elle Ta36eee Bdoon Ma T7ss , L2anHa t3awdt eL36a2 :* !

2:16 AM  
Blogger UzF said...

I'm very happy for you rabab, really. You make the best out of it all.. Happy birthday to you and have a wonderful year ahead! =)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Papillona ® said...

Happy birthday and Happy New Year Ayya :)

12:36 AM  
Blogger you-sif said...

سنة سعيدة
وكل عام وأنتي بخير

7:33 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

moryarti
Thank you dear and I wish the best for you and your family, and welcome to my humble quarters.
PS; honesty is my middle name :p

Sabri
I have visited your blog and I loved your photos, and the lively thoughts you pass across, and I’m sure I will be your constant visitor. Welcome dear anytime.

Lady J
Just got back from Bahrain and I had a wonderful time. I missed blogging, and I don’t need to tell you how much I missed you, do I?
Unfortunately; I still don’t have the internet connection (our ministry of communication’s master minding the rain :p) but I have the GPRS that would do for a while even if it is not so efficient at times.
Thanks sweetie and I wish the best for you :*

Teme
Thank you dear, and I wish you a wonderful year ahead.

DA
Thanks for the sound advice; I sure will remember to keep that on mind my friend.

Shurouqa
7abeebti wallah, I wish you get all the things your heart desires, for you are a great friend :*

Hisham
Thanks sweetie, and I wish you go back to blogging, chinik 6awalt iswayah? I miss your poems.
My you have all your wishes come true.

Princess
I don’t blame you sweetie, I know how hectic work could be at times. And you reminded me of the alarm each morning, that’s the best thing about retirement; no alarms LOL
And ah, a Princess yes, you are, but not so3lookah, no way :*

MsB
I had a great birthday, surrounded by good friends. You have such a soothing effect MsB, I feel really great when I see your words. I think it’s your wonderful vibes that makes everything possible. May you always be happy :*

Eva
Hey sweet couz , where have you been, missed you.
Sana a7la min el3asal li a7la couz :*

UzF
I guess DA, is right, it’s the attitude that matters. I hope the best for you this year in school and also in love ;)

Papi
Thanks sweetie, and I skimmed through your blog and saw your Cancerien good luck year ahead, but I strongly believe that we are the ones who create good luck. Just have faith in that.

you-sif
Thanks dear same to you.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home