.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, April 21

Political Islam

Name????????
When my daughter first learned to write her full name she wrote her first name then mine then her father’s as her official full name on school math test paper. The teacher noticed that while she was passing to check the names. And asked her to change it, but she refused saying innocently that she was the daughter of AyyA as well as her father’s and that she loved me more than she did her father, and that’s why she placed my name after hers. If you know my daughter; you’d know what stubbornness I had to deal with especially at that young age ( she was considered a slow learner). She refused to write her name the traditional way and her teacher got a blank paper from her, with only her name on it; her way. This annoyed the school and they contacted me for an explanation. It took me a long time to convince her that this is not the way it’s done. And that love had nothing to do with it. This conversation took us to women suppression in our society, off course at her innocent level. She asked questions that I could not answer. One of the questions I remember was; why do women have children if they can’t carry their names? It was a very challenging situation especially that I wanted to be honest with her and at the same time had to beat around the bush for lame excuses that did not convince me, let alone her. Off course she forgot about it as time passed.
The other day I read what Dala3 Elmofti wrote in Alqabas about this subject and remembered this incident that happened with my daughter. And I came to one conclusion; children think more logically than adults. It is we and our stereotype teachings that suppress their logical thinking, and this was just another example.
Practically speaking and away from women’s lib; in a country like Kuwait where almost all Mohammads have to name one of their sons Jasem as a tradition. And Jasems name theirs Mohammad. How many Jasems and Mohammads we have in the gulf as a whole? Almost every other three houses (that’s my estimate), and so names like Mohammad Jasem Mohammad Jasem( you may start the name with Jasem) is very common. And accordingly you can measure other typical, widely used trailing names.
Similarities in names is becoming inevitable, a lot of people have been held at the borders for having suspicious names ( similar to some wanted by law), and this was causing a lot of discomfort and embarrassment to some, that’s why the Interior ministry had to include mother’s names in their computer systems to verify identity. It would be less headache if mother’s name is included in the official name, wouldn’t you think? So what’s the big deal with the name? And why can’t a person choose his official name as he wants? Who said mother’s name should die with time?

Atorabi(click the link) wa ma adraka ma Torabi
In one of my older posts I wrote a topic about 7ijab and challenged others to bring me any proof that it’s mandatory in Islam the way it is worn today. Off course a lot of people discarded my opinion because they consider me a secular who does not understand anything about religion although none submitted any proof. Well never mind; can anyone one discard Altorabi’s declaration? Now here is a prominent Islamist who said it loud and clear ( as fatwa). And off course all Islamists kept a low profile and did not comments on his radical declarations ( khamooooosh). That goes to tell you one thing; they all know the truth, yet the truth is not beneficial for them to be declared. They prefer fooling people; especially women who easily swallow the bait. Wake up; it’s a struggle for a political identity and you are only being used.
Another thing that caught my attention in Altorabi’s fatwa is the marriage of a Moslem woman to a non-Moslam man. I have not seen or read anything forbidding it in Islam. And as per our sharee3a; a Moslem man can marry a non-Moslam woman, but if she did not convert, and the marriage, for some reason, did not survive, she has no right of inheritance and she loses the custody of her children. In other words; she is forced to convert in an indirect way. Where does religion stand in all this? Wake up; THEY ARE FOOLING YOU.
He also mentioned that Islam does not consider alcohol consumption a felony that should be punished by law. D&G (as young and innocent as she is) wrote about this subject and was practically slandered. I ask those who opposed her to answer Altorabi; yallah, hatha elmaidan…..
Alturabi; two thumps up to you

Consider this post khu6bat eljum3a.... LOL

PS; I know I promised to post my diaries in Lebanon, but too much going on and occupying my mind. The post is ready since I wrote it when I was there, but have to do some proof reading and will post soon inshallah.

Posted by AyyA:: at :: 12:27 PM::

19 Comments:

Blogger Purgatory said...

besech :P

2:49 PM  
Blogger MASS said...

trying to rebel and so called think for your self
and free ones self from all institutions that ever existed...

is not only hypocracy when tried to justify in terms of religion but

is another series of inferiority complex trying to imitate western renaissance philosophy of those whom liberlists look up to like kant and rousseau

even though you might not know what am talking about,, yet paying little attention to where your ideology is derived and giving it a semi critical look then you might relaise the flaws if you choose not to over look them

where happiness and sucess lies is in our deen islam,, not beause it is our idigenous religion and it is part of our tradition that we look up to,,, but it is the truth from Allah the creator and sustainor of this universe,,,

and if we sway off His way,, we will not find any harmony with whats around us,,coz whats around us are slaves and worshipers to Allah,,,

Allah is The Wise the Knowledgable,,,in these artributes in infinity,,,and what do we know about his creations,,,what have we achived,,,, we reached the moon,,,and what is the moon in this universe,,,in our own selves all we know about our brain is very little not even 1 over 20 from its capabilities

so shall we obey whom knows what He created or shall we follow our ignorance in trying to please ourselves,,,

Allah didnt leave us in this and has shown us the way,,,

and if we follow other they do not even direct to the begining of truth yet even show us its end

قُلْ هَلْ مِنْ شُرَكَائِكُمْ مَنْ يَهْدِي إِلَى الْحَقِّ قُلِ اللَّهُ يَهْدِي لِلْحَقِّ أَفَمَنْ يَهْدِي إِلَى الْحَقِّ أَحَقُّ أَنْ يُتَّبَعَ أَمْ مَنْ لَا يَهِدِّي إِلَّا أَنْ يُهْدَى فَمَا لَكُمْ كَيْفَ تحكمون

I ask Allah to make this a hujja for you and not on you

3:49 PM  
Blogger ananyah said...

i havent been online here for a while but im glad i came back and read your wonderful writing again

i admire your daughter for her way of thinking and the story is actually very cute

i think that mothers names should be included, but its all about tradition and society I suppose

4:05 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Folan
Thank you, wi kil moum ta3al :)

Purgy
You know how much I like to tease your mind :p

Q8ibloger
I really admire your altruistic tendencies; I know how pure at heart you are. Yet, we don’t look at things through one narrow lens. You may be right about my complex personality, yet what is your answer to Altorabi may I ask?

Ananyah
7ayach, you’ve been greatly missed sweetie :*
Personally; and as far as I know; not including mother’s name is a tradition.

4:29 PM  
Blogger MASS said...

well...

what if i sat with altorabi and gave him all the evidence,, these ayat and ahadeeth,,, what all acholars of islam have agreed upon and so on,,, his undermining logical statments of claiming that a 1400 years of civilization got it wrong,,and now we modern free thinkers got it right,,,

no matter the verses of Quran and ahadeeth and so on are shown,,will he preceive it,,,even though if he beleived in his heart that this is the truth if he doesnt beleive so already

why,,, dont i bring evidence,,answer,,
coz
و ما قدروا الله حق قدره

if he only knew the greatness of Allah,, if he only knew what true monotheism means,, if he knew what a Lord is a creator and a provider of all things,, then he would submit,,,

knowledge is not only in qaal Allah qaal arasool

it is in knowing whom you worship,,
it is in knowing Him,, that you will not fail to love Him,,that you try to do your ultimate best,,even in doing extra and not whats obligatory,,,in knowing Him you will also not fail to fear his greatness and his severe punishment,,, for those who turn their backs know not Allah

people like turaby need to learn about Allah,,need to look in theology,,,need to see how is that people give up everything for the sake of Allah once they KNOW Whom they are submitting to

once they Sumbit,,then any 2amr or nahi will be so easy on them,,it wont take a moment before they comply

how do we love what we know nothing about ,,and how do we fear what we know nothing about it

the answer is Learn about Allah

فعلم أنه لا إله إلا الله

6:05 PM  
Blogger ScarlO said...

I've heard in many religious lectures that a person is called by their mother's name on judgement day. I mean, it's a known fact and non-debatable. But as you said, the tradition is not to mention it. My name would sound nicer followed by Mom's name.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

I think you are going in circles that will not achieve anything, as you just like to challenge and be challenged instead of accepting that you might not be more important than a grain of dust in the big scheme of the universe.

The universe controls you through the mysterious powers from its deep dark corners and until you accept the fact that you are doomed and nothing will change that, you might never be saved.

The butterflies will come for you soon. Will you be ready?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

Your daughter is wonderfully unique in that memorable story. It would not make sense to a child would it?

I have always had an aversion to God being referred to in the masculine form - "HE" and "His".

1:01 AM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Q8ibloger
I’m not sure if you could read Arabic because the link I submitted gave a brief description of his qualification. I will try to translate it as much as I can: Dr. Hasan Alturabi is the most prominent Sudanese Islamist, an international leader of Moslem brethren (ikhwan elmoslimeen). Many consider him the highest contemporary Islamist thinker. He has many publications like: aleman wa atharaho fi 7ayat alinsan, tajdeed osool alfiqh, natharat fi alfiqh alsiyasi, and so on. He has a master’s degree in law from London, and a PHD from Sorbonne/France. He fluently speaks many languages such as English, French and German in addition to Arabic. He is a well learned man in many aspect of life besides his religious upbringing under his father who was one of the most known judges of sharee3a at his time.
This introduction was important to give you an idea of the man and the level of thinking we are talking about. He is not just anybody; he is a learned individual. He does not need me or you to give him a lecture on God.
The thing is that we unfortunately are mixing traditions of the badoen’s life that existed years before Islam with religious preaching. And we are considering them as sacred. The problem is not me or you, the problem is those shyookhs of deen who are supposed to segregate the two since religion is their specialty. But this is not happening and that’s why most of us are confused.
Greatness of God is not the question here; the question is what are God’s commandments, and what are man’s.
And God is in our hearts, we feel His existence in every breath we take. God to me is everything good. We don’t need to learn who is God from religious books which were manipulated by man and his evilness throughout history.

ScarlO
As a matter of fact, I won’t mind using my mom’s name. and I’m proud to say so.

Purgatory
See what I’m doing to your mind? :p
I am ready for the butterflies, and my DSL is working at last :)

Lady J
Talking about uniqueness, see what I wrote in the parenthesis above and you would understand how unique she is. Too unique that at one time I lost my voice completely trying to help her with her studies. She turned out to be a beautiful, passionate young girl that I’m proud of.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Hazolat said...

That was absolutely great to read. And what a clever little girl! Children are uninhibited, therefore are not afraid to act what they feel and they often act on impulse. That's why they are more genuine than us, programmed adults.

As for naming girls after their moms as well as dads, I do agree with Dr. Manal 7ilmy and her mother Nawal Al Sa3dawi (my hero) that it is a sign of male domination over women everywhere. I also find it extremely repulsive to have Kuwaiti women here branded in passports with the standard "Wife of Flan Il Flany" or "The Widow of Falantan". One must view the person as himself or herself, not as personal belongings to anyone.

And 7asan Al Turabi, well it's about time one of you folks started making some sense, don't you think? Still, and even if all of the religious parties everywhere started saying what you say, I will still not be steered by you or lean on any of your Fatwas. I will, and hopefully always will, depend on my own findings and beliefs that I uncovered myself :-P

Finally .. go ayya .. go ayya :-)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

hmm DSL working.. interesting.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Hazolat said...

Oh and I'm a Cat by the way, in case you've been guessing the entire weekend :-P

I get along well with all signs, except for Rats, Lay7ooshik.

2:30 PM  
Blogger MASS said...

if he knew the greatness of Allah,, he would have not said many of the stuff he did,,

if we dont need books to know Allah,,then why did Allah reveal the Quran??

why did Allah reveal sharee3a if his Laws are not superioir??

reality is people like him pick and choose what they want

the companions of the rasool sallah allahu 3alayhi wa sallam have said that hijab is obligatory and they narrate from the rasool sallah Allahu 3alayhi wa sallam
its crystal clear in the Quran!!

if we agree on the ways of understanding Islam this wont happen

but people like turabi and sa3dawi,,do not conform to the fundamentals of islam

i will try and find out more about this turabi guy
yet am on yaqeen that sa3dawi is an apostate,,,

secularism and Islam are at odds
secularism was the solution for a problem that is not of our culture,,

2:42 PM  
Blogger ScarlO said...

I think you are going in circles that will not achieve anything, as you just like to challenge and be challenged instead of accepting that you might not be more important than a grain of dust in the big scheme of the universe.

I agree ..

I mean, the whole 7jab issue is just tiresome and it's very hard to agree upon anything. At the end of the day, everyone will want to do whatever tickles their fancy. So .. I'll shut up about this. I just liked purg's theory.
5otho el 7ekma min afwah el majaneen :-p

4:50 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Hazolat
So, are you cheer leading me now :p ( just kidding)
What you said about women’s passport issue, I had to practically go to hell to get my passport renewed and at the end I had to be at the mercy of my ex’s convenience to do that, check this. By the way soon I will post a poem about a cat I wrote sometime back and will be dedicated to you :)

Purgatory
:)

Q8ibloger
Research is good, keep on at it; it will clear a lot of things.

ScarlO
Oh yes, I do agree with purgy too, yet going in circles is not bad. It leads to questions that need answers. It is not important for all debaters to agree. The disagreement pups questions in the minds and urge us to condense our research and form our own beliefs. Remember that not only the debaters are present here, there is also the silent readers.

5:24 PM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Sorry Hazolat, I just noticed that I forgot to include the link ..LOL
check this

5:42 PM  
Blogger Hazolat said...

Ayya,
Do consider me your cheerleader, whatever you post uplifts my spirits :-)

A poem about me? I mean Cats? Allah :-P Though once my mom told me while we were in a conversation "You're not a Cat at all, you're a goddamned Dragon". I guess she raised me well, to stand my ground by all means :-)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Hazolat said...

Khi6bat Il Yim3a? Kalamich Abrak. Aroo7 3alashanich il Masyad if you're preaching :-)

10:33 AM  
Blogger AyyA said...

Hazolat
;)

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home